Using the CUSU Voting Platform
One of the services that CUSU offers to JCR's, MCR's, Sports Clubs and Societies is access to using our online elections platform. It's free, secure and easy to use. Plus, it's the best way to host a democratic election.
How does it work:
All elections are hosted on www.vote.cusu.cam.ac.uk
- You input the election information
- Add your list of voters
- Promote the link to your members
- Voting is done securely and anonymously
- Your results are automatically calculated and published
For transparency, you can see a list of all of the CRSIDs that have voted in the election. To ensure a fair election takes place, we use the Single Transferable Vote system.
For more details information, please follow this guidance.
- Ballots should be created by the Returning Officer (or delegate).
- Colleges: Only JCRs and MCRs from colleges affiliated with Cambridge University Students' Union may use the online voting system to create a ballot. For more information please contact us.
- You (the RO) must be registered as a manager of your group in the College/faculty/University database or Student Life Directory (including Societies Directory).
- You must finalise the set up of the ballot at least 2 hours before it is due to open. (This is required by the security architecture.)
- At 2 hours before a ballot opens, it cannot then be deleted or edited in any way.
- Your constitution must require votes to be counted using ERS97 STV. This system cannot run first-past-the-post ballots.
- You must have a spreadsheet of all your voters, containing their University usernames.
- All voters must have a Raven account.
- Do not use this system for elections where the only ballot is for an LGBT officer, i.e. where making the list of those who have voted would not be acceptable. (Please contact email@example.com to discuss this.)
Read How to set up and run ballots to understand how it works.
Becoming a Manager/Returning Officer
Each listing can have up to three managers, all of those listed will have the ability to set-up and run elections through the voting platform. Once someone is listed, they then have the power to add or remove others listed as a manager of their own listing, be that College JCR, MCR, Sports Club or Society.
Whilst CUSU can update this for you, the system is made so that it can be as self-run as possible. It should be factored into handovers that the role of a manager is changed before someone hands over their role to someone else. You can do this via updating your directory listing via the link buttons above.