Cambridge University Students' Union (CUSU) is a creative and progressive student-led organisation that is committed to the equal opportunity for all. Our staff are key enablers to the work of the union on behalf of CUSU's membership community.
We are hunting for a new external trustee to replace our longest standing board member. We are a vibrant, exciting organisation on the brink of change and are looking for someone bold and committed to help lead that change with us.
What will you be doing?
The role of the external trustees is to have oversight of the strategic direction of Cambridge University Students’ Union and, through the CEO, be responsible for the financial, reputational and operational performance of the union.
The trustee board is made up of;
- The Union President – This is a Cambridge Student elected to lead the Union by the student body. They are also the chair of the trustee board and line manager of the CEO
- 4 other elected Sabbatical Officers – These are Cambridge University students who have been elected by the student body to represent them.
- 2 Student Trustees – Current students co-opted onto the board for a term of one year
- Up to 4 external trustees – These are volunteers external to the Union and University who bring a specific set of skills and knowledge to the board
- The CEO and Deputy CEO also attend each board meeting, but don’t have a vote when it comes to decision making
We are specifically looking for someone with a Financial Management background, ideally with knowledge of charity finances and people management.
We would expect the person in this role to;
- Attend at least 8 Trustee board meetings per year
- Have oversight of the Union’s finances and work closely with the CEO to produce financial reports for the board
- Chair the finance committee which also meets approximately 8 times per year in term time
- Assist the President in their Line Management of the CEO. Mostly this means being available for advice and guidance via email and on the phone, but may also mean attending some line management meetings.
We estimate that this role will involve volunteering for 2.5 days per month on average with peaks and troughs linked to term times.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for someone with the following vital skills;
- Financial Management – Ideally in a charity or third sector organisation
- People Management – The ability to assist with the line management of our most senior staff member
- Strategic Oversight – The ability to think strategically and separately from the day-to-day organisational management of the union
Skills that would be desirable but not essential;
- A knowledge of UK Charity Law
- An understanding of Students’ Unions
- An understanding of the Cambridge community and how the University fits within it
What difference will you make?
As an external trustee you will help to develop our best and brightest young people. Former sabbatical officers of the Union have gone on to hold jobs in the highest levels of government, as business leaders and activists making real change to their communities. Cambridge University is a world renowned academic institution, but the Students’ Union isn’t there yet. We want that to change and we need your help to do that.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
We are a young, vibrant, energetic team who are keen to make a difference. The Union is an exceptionally fast paced, friendly and fun place to work. No two days are the same and as a new external trustee you will be joining the organisation at a very exciting period of change, with a potential merger, a new building and multiple new opportunities coming in the next few years.
To apply, please submit a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to, you can sumit a supporting covering letter, however this is optional. Ifyou would like an informal conversation about the role, please email email@example.com, Rich, the Chief Executive Officer will be happy to contact you to discuss the role further.
Deadline to apply: Monday 30th September
Further Information: Download here
Our volunteers assist the work of CUSU – CUSU achieves a lot for its membership with limited resources and could not continue its work without the energy and experience of volunteers.
We regularly seek volunteers for major events, such as the annual Freshers Fair. Please register your interest with us to be notified of up-and-coming volunteering opportunities. To become a volunteer for CUSU, please email Grace, CUSU’s Membership Engagement Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply for current [paid] opportunities
To apply please submit your CV, a CV cover sheet (using form provided), and a cover letter, describing how you meet the person specification and your motivation for applying.
Applications should be submitted electronically to email@example.com
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like any further information, or have any difficulty applying.
Cambridge University Students’ Union (CUSU) is committed to creating an organisation in which all members and employees are respected, discrimination is not tolerated and diversity is encouraged. All members and employees will be treated fairly and with respect.
Selection for employment, promotion, training or any other benefit will be on the basis of aptitude and ability.
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from those from Black, Asian and an ethnic minority backgrounds, as they are under-represented within Cambridge University Students’ Union in some areas. We are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments individuals may require in the recruitment process, on commencement, or once in post.