The Ethical Affairs Team is the part of the Students' Union which campaigns on social and environmental sustainability. It aims to promote awareness of environmental and ethical issues among the students, coordinate, represent, and empower them to act. They are collectively responsible for CUSU actions pertaining to the relationship between the student body and the larger community, the impact of University, collegiate, student, and Union activities on the environment and/or broader society, the interaction between social issues and student life, and student engagement with local and national democracy. They:
- Campaign for a reduction of environmental impact by students, the Union, and the wider University
- Promote the socially responsible use of students' financial resources, whether directly through students' purchasing power, or indirectly through the procurement and investment activities of the Union, the University and the Colleges
- Campaign for the University and Colleges to pay the Living Wage for all staff
- Support the civic and democratic engagement of the student body through voter registration and awareness efforts in the run up to local and national elections
- Develop and promote volunteering and charitable activities for students in the local community
- Support the work of the Green and Ethical Officers of the affiliated Common Rooms
Ethical Affairs Officers:
This year's Ethical Affairs Officers are Tiantian Chen and Tessa Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
They are the primary CUSU Representatives on ethical and civic matters and sit on bodies considering these matters as agreed between CUSU and the University/inter-Collegiate Institutions.
Part of their role is to maintain networks to support collaboration between the Green and Ethical Officers of affiliated Common Rooms.
How could you be involved?
If there's something you want to change about ethical affairs within the University, then you can run to be one of two part-time elected Campaigns Officers. You'll be elected for one year, and will be responsible for:
- Planning, implementing and reviewing a single campaign which forms the basis of your elections manifesto
- Ensuring your campaign is conducted with sufficient mandate from CUSU Policy
- Maintaining the confidence of CUSU Council in the principles and aims of your campaign
- Ensuring the Head of Team is informed about your campaign activity
- Identifying co-opted volunteers who require induction/training and communicating to the Head of Team (if applicable)
- Attending and participating in Team and Full-Exec Meetings
- From time to time contributing to certain other CUSU and Team activities.
For more information, email the Ethical Affairs Officers (email@example.com), or the Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The CUSU Office
The CUSU team is dedicated to reducing its own environmental impact. There are various schemes and protocols we employ to ensure this:We actively recycle used postage stamps, envelopes & printer cartridgesWe reduce our paper output whenever possibleWe promote the use of public transport & cycling to all of our staff & sabbatical members
- All of our resources, such as paper & tea, are from ethically sourced suppliers
- Our energy and electricity use is always monitored and there are a magnitude of ways in which we try to reduce our use
- We participate in schemes such as Green Impact to always further our knowledge and understanding of current environmental issues
- For more information regarding the University's Environmental & Energy team, check out their website.